Hi friends. I want to check in on you and offer support. Are you struggling right now? Are you anxious about your health, your job, your future? If so, please know you aren’t alone. I think most of us can relate to these feelings. What’s been your biggest challenge? Staying on track with workouts? Finding healthy choices at the grocery store? Maybe you don’t even want to leave your house. I’ve got health hacks around all of this for you today!
Staying healthy is and has been my top priority for a long time. As I don’t have the luxury of staying home right now, supporting my health has become even more important with the onset of this virus. Flight attendants are considered essential workers. We do have the option to take a leave right now but for me, I can’t take the financial risk. I’m sure you’ll tell me your health is at the top of your list due to COVID-19 but maybe you’re also having a hard time because you’ve taken a pay cut, leave, or even lost your job.
Where to cut back
I’ve got 5 tips you can do immediately that don’t cost a thing!
- GET OUTSIDE! Sunshine helps your body to create vitamin D which supports the immune system, our bones, increases energy levels and lots more! If you are getting exercise in the sun’s rays, that’s fantastic! You can take a walk, (bonus points if you have a dog), go for a run, ride your bike, or even just sit and soak up the D. You’ll definitely feel better and have a more positive outlook afterwards. Don’t tell me it’s too cold where you live! My mom is out walking everyday in Cleveland where it’s been in the 40s. Plus, if you’ve been quarantined or at least isolating, you’ll welcome the outdoor environment and the fresh air!
- PRACTICE GRATITUDE. Make a list each day in a gratitude journal or just think of what you have to be grateful for. For me it’s still having a job. Think about where you want to be at the end of all this and work backwards.
- BE PROACTIVE. You might want to stay inside and binge watch Netflix or the news but after a while that’s going to take a toll on your psyche. Can you tackle that project around the house you never have time for? What about that class you’ve always wanted to sign up for? Can you look for another job online? I’ve spent everyday applying for a side job. What about spending quality time with your family and talking via FaceTime or Zoom?
- INCORPORATE HOME WORKOUTS. I’m really missing my gym and yoga studio right now. But, aside from both being closed for our safety, I’ve also realized, I may have to give one or both of them up as my hours at work have been greatly reduced. If you have a great workout regimen at home, you may decide this is someplace you can save your money.
- REVIEW YOUR BUDGET. Are there any subscriptions you can pause or stop? I’ve cut everything except my coffee and mushroom subscriptions because they are actually cheaper online and I absolutely cannot give up coffee right now! I changed my phone plan and I only have internet, no tv. What’s important to you may be different from what’s important to me but what can you trade out? I know you’re not going out to dinner right now but if you cook at home, you can make more for leftovers to take to work. It’s next to impossible to find any food other than takeout especially at the hotels and airport restaurants are extremely limited. Even the most of the Starbucks are closed! See why I need my coffee 😉
How to cope
One of my struggles is substituting what I would normally buy at the grocery store. Many of my favorite brands haven’t been in stock so I’ve been forced to choose something else. Anyone else feel like grocery shopping right now is similar to shopping at Marshall’s? You never know what’s gonna be there and that is not how I like to shop! It’s been a lesson in patience and I realize this too shall pass. I go back to my gratitude that there are still many options to choose from and food is indeed available.
If you feel uneasy going to the store right now, you aren’t alone. Wear your mask and gloves while shopping and when returning home,strip your clothes into the laundry basket, shower and put on a fresh outfit. You can also wash your groceries and repackage them if it makes you feel safer. This is about you and your personal comfort level.
Finally, moving forward
Eventually, we will get past this and come out stronger, more appreciative and enlightened on the other side! No one knows what our “new normal” will be. Before we know it, our lives will resume publicly but they may be very different from how they were before.
My new life onboard now looks like 5 to 100 passengers per flight. For safety, we aren’t serving food or beverages. I know this will all change soon enough but to what extent we’ll have to wait and see. I believe we will really appreciate coming back together as a world, being able to hug and high five and hopefully, never take for granted all the little things that make life so wonderful. Personally, I’m looking forward to going out to eat at a restaurant and sitting outside. What are you most looking forward to? Comment below and let me know!
Here are just a few of my recommendations to help boost your immunity
Meet Moringa–the super green more nutritious than kale. Kuli Kuli is the leading moringa brand in the US. We source only the highest quality, most nutritious moringa through direct relationships with family farmers and women’s cooperatives around the world. Nourishing You, Nourishing the World.™
Rich in iron, calcium, vitamins, antioxidants, and plant protein, moringa adds a nutritious boost to everything from smoothies to soups. Moringa is high in vitamin C which is a great immune booster. Learn more here. Get 10% off your purchase with promo code WENDRASWELLNESS