This blog was written by my friend Jill Anenberg Lawrence who is a Board Certified Health Coach. We definitely bond over our love for clean ingredients in products and sharing with others the detrimental ones to avoid. You can learn more about Jill, read other blogs and watch her fun videos at: www.JillLawrenceHealth.com
As an active girl and natural born sweater, I have to make sure I’m using a killer deodorant. However, as a Health Coach, I’m selective about the ingredients slathered over our largest organ, the skin. We absorb over 60% of the products we use.
There are quite a few toxins and chemicals to look out for in personal care products, and specifically deodorant. Here the top five that aren’t invited to my pit party.
1) Aluminum: Linked to Alzheimer’s, hormone disruption and cancer. Most deodorants are comprised of over 15% and aluminum. This chemical loves to party in our fat cells. Can you say side boob?
2) Phthalates: A class of chemicals, usually lurking in what’s listed as “fragrance,” that can damage the liver, kidneys, lungs and reproductive system. Yuck! I think my friend’s would rather me be around with a little BO than smelling like “Ocean Breeze”… whatever the heck that is.
3) Parabens: Nobody likes a copycat and that’s exactly what parabens are. They mimic estrogen in the body and are linked to breast and prostate cancer. This one is easy to recognize because it ends in a “paraben.” The 5 to steer clear of: methylparaben, propylparaben, butylparaben, benzylparaben and isobutylparaben.
4) Propylene Glycol: A petroleum product, propylene glycol’s main gig is in anti-freeze. All I know is I hold my body to a way higher standard than sharing ingredients with damn engine fluid! Propylene glycol can cause damage to your central nervous system, skin, liver and kidneys. My homies over at The Material Safety Data Sheet* gives safe handling instructions, calling it “a hazardous substance.” Propylene glycol can also provoke skin allergies and eczema. No one wants their skin care products making razor burn look worse.
5) Triclosan: According to the FDA, this bad boy is a pesticide. Yes, some people may have pest like qualities, but you wouldn’t spray them with Raid would you? The EPA classifies triclosan as a carcinogen, aka cancer causing. Lastly, according to The Environmental Working Group, “Triclosan is linked to liver and inhalation toxicity. Even low levels of triclosan may disrupt thyroid function. Triclosan and other antibacterial ingredients may encourage bacterial resistance to antibiotics.” Enjoy the fishies in the ocean? As triclosan washes down the drain, it goes straight to our water sources and is extremely toxic to all aquatic life.
Even though I’ve made you stress sweat over the chemicals in your current deodorant you’re (under) armed with this new information, and ready to make the swap to a clean non-toxic deodorant.
Alright, let’s get personal. I have an embarrassing secret to share: I hold the world’s record for sweatiest pits. Yep, definitely not a fun party trick or something to brag about, and I’ve had to deal with since I was 14.
What’s a girl like me do when she wants to battle the sweat without using harsh chemicals? After all, I am a Holistic Health Coach and have no business slathering aluminum and other detrimental toxins up in my pitties. I’ve tried dozens of natural deodorants, and either I sweat even more (like dripping down my arm) or I stink way worse (think hippies living at the beach)!
But don’t worry– I’ve got you and your armpits covered. Here are my Top Three Deodorants.
1) Native Deodorant!
You know when you love a product you want to tell everyone about it? That’s Native for me. Their website boasts “24 hour active protection.” I’ve swiped it on at 5:30am, had a crazy day running around, and, no joke, I’m still just as fresh at 10pm! That has never happened to me before. I repeat for dramatic effect, NEVER. I’ve made my hesitant clients smell my pits for proof. Yep, still fresh. And thanks to the yummy Coconut Vanilla scent I chose, you feel like you’ve been transported to the tropics. In addition to the island vibe, Native has a variety of beautiful scents for both men and women, including Lavender Rose and Eucalyptus Mint, made from essential oils and herbal botanicals. You can also check out thousands of other reviews from happy customers here.
Native is aluminum free, paraben free, and made in the USA. The best part about the ingredient list? You’ll be able to recognize and pronounce every single one. Half of them you could find in your kitchen!
Even more amazingly, shipping is free (my second favorite four-letter word)! If you don’t love your deodorant, you can return for a full refund, but I can promise you–this product won’t be missing from your toiletries ever again. In addition to everything I’ve already gushed about (you should hear me at dinner parties) Native is my preferred deodorant because it’s transformed me from a self conscious chick with B.O. to a confident woman who’s pits smell so good, I’m encouraging other’s to “get in there!” We take probiotics to balance our gut bacteria, and guess what, it does the same for our skin! I absolutely love that probiotics are included in the ingredients. They are the first line of defense in eliminating bad bacteria, yeast and odor-causing fungi. I can’t say it enough, you will not smell with Native. The ease in which this baby swipes on makes the switch to natural, well natural.
2) Kelly Teegarden Organics- Finally Deodorant.
I love that it’s organic, natural and non-GMO. The CEO Kelly is a cancer survivor and created this line of wonderfully, safe products. It was gifted to me from my friend Rachel because she’s seen me first hand sweat profusely through my T-shirt.
The smell is really nice as it’s infused with botanical extracts and green tea plant stem cells for a high level of antioxidants. Our pits appreciate that kind of superstar treatment. I don’t smell at all and only sweat a little (but I will sweat no matter what).
Use this coupon code, “Jill10” to save 10% on your order.
3) The Healing Hippy.
Fitting right?! Their catch phrase, “Be a Hippy. Don’t smell like one” is on point! With only 6 organic, gluten free, vegetarian ingredients. I’m talkin’ coconut oil, beeswax and shea butter—yep my pits are definitely eating better than most people out there. Scented with therapeutic grade Tea Tree Essential Oil, which provides antimicrobial properties that naturally eliminate body odor. After dabbing the deodorant on my armpits, I did have to rub it in a little, but hey, a little one on one time with your pits is some good self-love! And to seal the deal, the deodorant is made by hand and packaged with Earth conscious products.
Use this coupon code, “CLEAN15” to save 15% on your order.
Hit me up on Twitter or Facebook and tell me your favorite brands, or which deodorant you’re going to try out! Oh, and send me all those pitted out t-shirt pics. We can laugh together at how sweaty we used to get! Remember, sweat clean-live dirty!
If you’re ready to take your health and life to the next level, schedule a “Health Consultation” with me! One conversation could change your life! It doesn’t matter where you live, I work with clients all over the map and would love to chat with you! Click here!